Thursday, July 17, 2008

True love ensures longevity

 

July 18, 2008

Zululand
OBSERVER
 
 

True love ensures longevity

George (95) and Jean (83) Hadlow of Richards Bay recently celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary

Ronelle Ramsamy

IT may resemble a fairytale romance that one only dreams of as a youngster but this is definitely a true tale of unconditional love for one another.
As 95 year-old George Hadlow gazes into his wife's eyes, one immediately realises how his union with Jean (83) has stayed strong for 60 years.
Their affectionate and tender gestures, calm disposition, jovial conversations and love and respect shown towards one another in their old age certainly explains part of their recipe for a long marriage.
The Veldenvlei couple, who were married on 1 May 1948, recently celebrated their diamond marriage anniversary with a private golden wedding function at the Richards Hotel.

First impressions
Asked how the couple first met, both shyly blush and admit that it was love at first sight.
'George was at war and his sister told me that she would love it if I could meet her brother, who was based in Witbank.
'When I first saw him, I knew that he was the right person for me. When I took him to my parents in Hatfield, they also liked him.
'He was a charming gentlemen,' says Jean.
For George, he was literally spellbound.
'When I went back to Witbank after seeing her, I saw Jean Lewis night and day.
'I couldn't get her out of my mind,' chuckled George.
After courting for a year, the couple married and had two children.
This dynasty has now grown to six grandchildren and four great grandchildren.

Work
Being a qualified government boiler attendant, George worked at Eskom power stations for 48 years after his service at the army.
Working at Johnson's Showroom in Pretoria for four years, Jean then pursued her sporting interests in tennis and bowls.
'I played tennis and bowls for 21 years. In the very first district competition, I won the Goodwill Pairs with my partner.
'I also loved gardening and baking especially my favourite milk and savoury tarts,' said Jean.
George on the other hand was a keen shottist, who also participated in boxing and bowls.
And although he doesn't exercise as often as he would like, George says he still currently manages to go to gym at least twice a week.
Retiring in 1983 at 70 years of age, George decided to move to Richards Bay, where his children resided.

Secret
In a world plagued by broken marriages and dysfunctional families, George and Jean said their secret was that they lived a happy, healthy and active life, always working together and pursuing their interests.
'Being Christians, God truly spared us for so long to see our family to where they are today.
'We had a happy life with our family. We devoted all our love to our children,' said George.
And as for conflict resolution, it seemed it wasn't a part of their dictionary.
We never went to bed angry,' said Jean.
'Yes,' replies George, 'We always kissed and went to bed,' smiles George.



 

No comments: