Wednesday, September 24, 2008

At the mercy of the law

 

September 22, 2008

Zululand
OBSERVER
 
 

At the mercy of the law

Sithembiso Biyela is treated at Ngwelezana Hospital for injuries he allegedly sustained while in police custody

Lesley Stephenson

POLICEMEN stationed at Ngwelezane Police Station have been accused of administering justice... with their fists.
Sithembiso Biyela (35), who was taken to the Ngwelezana Hospital suffering from severe bruising, unable to walk and being monitored for possible internal bleeding and renal failure, has laid a charge of assault against policemen of the station.
Police in turn initially laid a charge against Biyela for interfering with police duties, but this was later withdrawn.
According to Biyela, he went to the station to lay a charge of robbery and requested help from the policemen on duty to sort out his problem.

Priorities
The policemen claimed that Biyela's situation did not warrant immediate attention as more serious cases had to be attended to first.
This led to an argument and Biyela claims that the policeman slapped him on both cheeks, pushed him to the ground and began kicking him.
Biyela claims he only retaliated in self-defence.
Other policemen on duty pulled the two apart and cuffed Biyela, but he says the beatings continued.
Biyela claims that three policemen, two in uniform, assaulted him while two others watched.
'They called me a dog and shouted at me, asking if I thought I was clever because I am a nurse. What did I do to deserve this? They did not tell me.
'Then they turned the water hose on me. They did not put me in a cell, but kept me with them though the night and continued kicking me.
'Only in the morning did they say that they were arresting me for disturbing police duties. The morning staff took me to Ngwelezana Clinic,' said Biyela.
The police said the claims are being investigated.



 

No comments: